9 September 2012

Crossing that ocean...

Welcome back one and all. I'm like a bus! You don't see me for a quite a while and then I appear in rapid succession! Hope you think this is worth it though.


Well here is the project I was asked to show by so many of you on Wednesday, and it has taken all that time to get done. Now that could be my incompetence (but Hels would tell me off for saying that:) or my attention to detail, or the fact that I kept going back to it and messing a bit more - still not totally sure the frame is right but we are rarely truly satisfied with our own work here in blogland it would seem from reading your posts (thank goodness I'm not alone in that one!)


Just to warn you there are going to be some more close-ups in this post (oh, not another long one woman!) but many of you have mentioned that you really like to see the details.


Some details as I progress through this gallery - the stamp is a Michael Powell one that has been coloured with Promarkers (and lots of blending - gosh I enjoyed this SO MUCH!) It has also been decoupaged (stamped/coloured twice for this) so the lighthouse and foreground stood out more.


Think you may be able to make out that both image layers were covered in Rock Candy when completed too as this protects them and brings the colours to life even more.


The frame is white card with shells glued in place which has then had more of that kitchen roll (I used to mop up some Peeled Paint/Stormy Sky/Picket Fence Distress inks with) torn and Glue n Sealed over the top. That too got a healthy dose of Rock Candy for extra texture.


The shells were rubbed over with taupe and silver pigment inks (little finger required!) The 'driftwood' sentiment is waste cardboard, run through the Grand Calibur to flatten it somewhat, covered in Gingerbread/Aspen Mist VersaMagic and highlighted with DI Walnut Stain before the phrase was added with Black Archival ink.

This one is being entered into the Frilly and Funkie challenge - The Great Outdoors. If you haven't seen this one I highly recommend you take a look as the DT are sublime - led by Linda Coughlin who never fails to amaze me with her work and has one of the best stores, the Funkie Junkie Boutique.

Now I am away to do all that domestic stuff that won't go away by itself before hopefully putting together something that has been rattling around in my head for a while. It's noisy in there! Thanks for stopping by and for all your wonderful comments. I promise wherever possible to return the compliment.
Huge hugs, Buttons x

26 comments:

  1. Brilliant treatment of that terrific Michael Powell image (I love them)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Button I am inspired by this beautiful Tag. Funnily enough I am using this stamp in a class next week and you have given me some wonderful pointers.
    Love the detail and the textures you have achieved. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a stunning piece Buttons, so worth all the time you have taken. The image has been beautifully coloured and decoupaged for additional dimension and your frame is perfect. Love the kitchen roll touch.
    Thanks for your lovely comment today. I really appreciate it.
    Happy Sunday.
    Hugs Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its absolutely gorgeous - I can tell just by looking at it that you really enjoyed making it - made me remember I havent used my promarkers in a while either - must remedy that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blown away by the colouring og the stamp Buttons :) and the texture of the frame :)
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, this is amazing, such details...have a wonderful day!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGosh - WOW, this is fantastic

    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW. Those beautiful colours Buttons are so reminiscent of the beach and the most amazing details. This is quite an incredible piece and it was well worth the wait :)
    Have a lovely Sunday.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for showing us the finished article! Good luck in the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is fantastic! I love the way you wove the raffia around the shells but my favorite part is how you did the sentiment... it's stunning! Thanks so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie with this beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  11. buttons this is just FANTASTIC - I gasped when the first picture came up - its beautiful. Love everything about it. Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you certainly paid lots of attention to the details! I'm glad you made all those close ups. Beautiful work!!! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Buttons, this is fabulous.
    The image is beautifully colours and the frame is a perfect compliment.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Buttons, it certainly was worth the wait, it is fabulous but I have to admit I am hanging my head in shame, I got this stamp months ago and it has never been inked up.........I blame the poor summer....... you have created a little mini masterpiece here, love all the rock candy and the shells are perfect embellishments. Crafty hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is beautiful, the colours are gorgeous and you have embellished it to perfection! a beautiful make trace x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the Best creation with a Michael Power stamp I've ever seen Buttons! I love everything :-))
    A big A!!!

    greetings, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, genius colouring of the Michael Power stamp, and your frame is utterly delicious: shells, texture, colour - completely wonderful!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning creation Buttons. I love the colours and depth created by decoy paging the stamped images. Nice touch with the shells and 'driftwood' piece. Good luck my friend x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loving your framed picture Buttons, so many lovely textures. Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous artwork since my last visit, sorry it has been a while but i have just got back from sunning myself for a week in South West France. I did set up a few scheduled blog posts & I wanted to say thank you for your lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely stunning work Buttons ! The detail and the colours are gorgeous. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok Darling here goes...I love the frame...all the shells are wonderful...great texture and perfect for the theme! BUT, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the village!!! The stamped image is wonderful! I'd love to live there! So great that you stamped twice to make it 3D...really adds so much by doing that, and your coloration is wonderful! Gorgeous work! Thank you so much for playing along with us at Frilly & Funkie this fortnight!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Quite breathtaking Buttons! So beautifully coloured and I love the close ups - it's always lovely to see the details. Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Buttons, I want to live in your lighthouse! Wow, that frame with the seashells around the image is so beautiful and using the crackle adds another gorgeous layer! Love this! Thanks a bunch for playing along with us at Frilly and Funkie!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Totally stunning Buttons and not sure how I missed this one - not been commenting as much lately so sorry for that. I just love everything and dare I say this is the best thing I've seen you do so far? I've loved many of your creations but for me this one is a stand out amongst them. In particular, I love the promarker colour work with the decoupage - I haven't got any of these pens and the thought of them scares me and I always admire when people can use them to this amazing standard - dare I also say that I would like to see you do more of this combined with the texture work??
    From someone with no mojo to you with buckets of it!!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments - they are really appreciated and will be published when moderated. Jenny xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...