22 January 2014

The Warmth of Winter at Frilly and Funkie

Hi everyone. It's the second week of the latest challenge over at Frilly and Funkie, and our host Rebecca has chosen 'The Warmth of Winter' as her theme. "This time of year we can bring warmth to those who are feeling the chill! Create a card or project that will warm the heart of someone dear to you." If you are picked as a winner by the team you could be asked to join us as a Guest Designer, and there is also a random draw for  the prize of a $25 coupon to be spent at The Funkie Junkie Boutique. I'm sure you'll agree with me in saying that it is well worth entering to be in with a chance of receiving either of these opportunities.

You get a 'twofer' from me today. Here's the first...


January is a very busy month for birthdays in our family, and both my Mum in Law and Dad definitely need some heart-warming words (for different reasons) at the moment. I adore this sentiment from the Wendy Vecchi stamp set 'Heirloom Art', and found that it would sit perfectly inside the heart shape traced from the 'Never Enough Hearts' stencil. So that's where I started, using a blend of Red Geranium and Orange Blossom Archival Inks through the stencil onto white card and then fussy cutting it.


To help compose a card with a main focal image/shape (in this case the heart) I tend to draw around it onto the blank background and work from there. Now as Fired Brick and Rusty Hinge Distress Paints echo the Archival colours I'd used on the heart they were the perfect choice for applying to the base in a blotchy fashion. Next I stamped on a repeat background pattern in white acrylic paint.


With the traced heart shape still visible on the base I could then add/layer lots of die cut shapes and some flat doily paper to the card, knowing how they would look when the heart was put on top. After dry brushing gesso over these elements I blended more of the same paint over them before adding the heart. I then used a Victorian Velvet Distress Marker to outline the main shapes.


Stencils were then used to add an acrylic paint brick finish to the edges and some Archival Ink flourishes over the heart.. Finally I stamped the floral flourishes using another Distress Marker and added the die cut lettering.


I loved this design so much, and decided to see how a 'male' version could work. The base started in much the same way, with a mix of blue Distress Paints in a more random fashion. The blank areas were blended with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink before I used a new Prima stencil to add a white acrylic paint pattern over it.


This time I stencilled the striped line in before adding the painted die cuts. More Distress Marker outlining and some architectural stamping at either edge of the card added deeper blue tones .


Unlike the flowing pattern for the first card, this second one felt far more angular, and the balance of the design felt more complete with the addition of black paint lines (using the edges of a stamping block and a ruler).


I know these cards have already warmed a couple of hearts already and hope you get your own warmth and inspiration from the ideas presented. Don't forget, if you ever have any questions you can leave a comment here or drop me an email and I'll do my best to help. And I do hope to see you entering the challenge over at Frilly and Funkie.
Take care of yourselves, Jenny xxx



27 comments:

  1. Two gorgeous cards, love allthe layers hugs x trace. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful backgrounds on both makes Jenny x great co,our combo's too. I must invest in some of the AI by WV.

    TFS and hugs
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Oh! Wow! More stunning creations, you are just so talented.
    Have a fantastic day

    Patricia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How thoughtful of you to have made these cards .They are beautiful and will be treasured I'm sure

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can feel the warmth from here, especially on the red one! Both cards are beautiful. I don't know anyone else who can do layers as well as you do and yet keep the height of the layers to a minimum, you are one very clever lady Jenny. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way you explained how you achieved the finished fab results Jenny :)
    Von ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cards both of them. The backgrounds are wonderful and I LOVE the sentiment in the hearts!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two gorgeous cards - love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cards are so beautifully crafted!! I know the recipients "treasure" these special creations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the mono colour way on the first card, but me being me, the red pop of the heart on the dark background is very appealing ;)
    xoxo Sioux

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both cards are so stunning Jenny. I can only echo what has already been said. You are one talented crafter. Hugs Rita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Two really sensational cards, Jenny! You did a marvelous job in creating subtle texture the way you built up the layers. Gorgeous colors and now I NEED that Wendy stamp set! Really super take on the current F&F theme!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both cards are simply gorgeous and as always loaded with inky pleasure and texture! Love them both! I think the girl in the center wins the boys heart! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the burnished warmth of the first one, with those touches of frosty white paint stamping. And I'm even more in love with the masculine version - I adore the reds over that steel blue/gray background. Both cards have the look of vintage wallpaper - which is so cool, and your composition is, as ever, exemplary.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, you did a great job with both of these, absolutely love the backgrounds and how you've tied all the elements in, they look perfect

    Sam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such lovely cards with that stunning quote and great creativity of you Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  17. Two absolutely fabulous cards Jenny, both delightful in colour palettes and designs, love them both.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are both beautiful, Jenny
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love BOTH versions! Brilliant designs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such pretty cards! Love the various color combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are so cool! I love the colors you used and the die cuts that blend into the background yet give texture.

    ReplyDelete
  22. These thoughtful cards are amazing, Jenny, and I can well believe they were much appreciated by your MIL and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The card to your dad shows that hearts look as beautiful on a masculine card as they do a feminine card.
    Such special cards for two people who are obviously so special to you.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are wonderfully designed as always Jenny. Stunning inking going on! Sorry I've been missing, I've not been well but hope to catch up soon. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jenny these are two brilliant cards and both work brilliantly as male or female simply by changing the colour scheme. Clever you.

    Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x

    ReplyDelete
  26. love the ideas you have going on in these projects, jenny! the subtle layering is very cool.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments - they are really appreciated and will be published when moderated. Jenny xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...