23 December 2014

Sew Rusty

Hi everyone and welcome. I'm back with the penultimate pre-Christmas post to share a card inspired by the wonderful Shelly Hickox. Having used her 'galvanised metal' technique on a previous card I was intrigued by another of her faux finishes - 'rusted paint' - and decided to give it a go too.


Rather than use the technique over the whole background I opted for the now familiar trick of applying it to a tag to form the basis of the design. I followed Shelly's tutorial verbatim apart from using the Holiday Knit Layering Stencil to emboss the tag prior to painting it. That gave the surface a slightly raised texture which was enhanced when sanded. I highlighted the design even further by applying the Potting Soil Archival Ink and some Tarnished Brass Distress Paint through the stencil.


With the tag complete I piled it up with some vintage ephemera from one of Tim Holtz' packs, adding hand stitching and buttons to the button card and pin holes to the safety pin card. The glossy candy cane was stamped using one of the Mini Blueprint stamps before being coloured with Distress Markers, and I blended Festive Berries Distress Ink over the dress form.



The background combined more stencilling and (of course) splatters of stain along with a little washi tape and machine sewing. Adding a watery ink shadow around the main elements really helps them pop off the page too.


I hope you get chance to go on over to Shelly Hickox' blog to take a look at her fabulous array of Christmas ornaments - her creative imagination takes us to some fantastic places and will have you buzzing with ideas.

One more post from me tomorrow - my final Tim tag of the year. For now I'm off to make more mince pies and get those festive preparations finished off. Whatever you're up to take care of yourselves, Jenny xxx

15 comments:

  1. This I like. Love the sumptuously rich colours and what a different Christmas card. Very clever indeed.

    Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
    ShirlsCards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just when I think the sewing/dress form theme has been done death and had its day, you come up with a wonderful, inspirational piece, Jenny. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning creation! Love the rich colors and design. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Isn't Shelly just the best? Love all her faux techniques. The stitching adds a nice touch. Thanks for all the inspiration this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning card and wonderful technique

    Love Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh you have been so busy creating recently! All of your creations are fab so sorry I haven't got time to comment on them all - I have seriously cut down my pc time which is why I am a bit AWOL at the moment - also I haven't been in the mood for papercrafting so have had a break from that too - hopefully I will try a bit harder in the new year! Have a fabulous Christmas and new year - hope Santa brings you lots of crafting goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! absolutely blooming AMAZING!!
    LOVE!! everything on this wonderful card.
    Wishing you and yours a Fantastic Christmas & A Very Happy New Year.
    Hugs

    Patricia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another stunning Christmas card and beautiful technique! =)
    Hugs, Elenor

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love this it's really stunning Jenny. Veerle Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is truly stunning Jenny. I love Shelly's technique and you have done a wonderful job with it. I love the sewing theme, the little hanger, the buttons and the ephemera all look fantastic. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenny you must be glowing with happiness as you read the wonderful praise that has gone before me for your outstanding art!
    Clothing sewing and Christmas - a perfect match!
    Best wishes to you and your family. Be safe and have fun.
    Hugs
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another stunning card Jenny!! Love the rich colour on the white background .. simply scrumptious!! Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!! ox

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great grungy take on the traditional red and gold - fabulous card!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This has to be one of my favourite Christmas cards. The use of that washi tape with the stitching and the holiday knit background...gorgeous...but then that sumptuous rich velvet red dress form on top of the rusty tag is just perfection. mmmm LOVE this! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments - they are really appreciated and will be published when moderated. Jenny xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...